Welcome to the Gambia Hornchurch International Scout Project Website
So what’s it all about?
In 2009, Dragon Explorer Unit visited The Gambia to commence the process of creating a link to the Gambia Scouts with Hornchurch Scout District.
During this trip the participants experienced life in The Gambia and gained a greater cultural understanding.
In 2010, two Gambian Scouters visited the UK and it was then their turn to experience a whole new type of Scouting in a completely different environment to home.
Following these expeditions, the GHISP was created and a trip to visit The Gambia in 2014 was undertaken.
The GHISP (pronounced like ‘crisp’) was created:
- To develop greater mutual cultural understanding between the UK and Gambian scouts.
- To help improve Scouting in the Upper River Region of The Gambia.
- To improve international scouting opportunities in the 14-25 year olds in Hornchurch District.
- To achieve the award of Explorer Belts in Hornchurch District.
- To facilitate joint projects between Explorer Scout Units and the Scout Network in Hornchurch District